Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Jews and Joints

Logan focusing very hard on his drums.

Logan rocking out with Davis. It was so cute to watch him following Davis around. And then he decided to take one of Olive's canes and destroy the flowers, bushes, and trees because he knew I was on the phone and couldn't come after him. Brat.

Davis on his drums in his studio.

An odd picture of Davis playing on his drums in his studio that smells like ganja. The smell makes me nauseated.



This morning Olive had a doctor's appointment and had to have blood drawn. Last night I got NO sleep, so I was a little short tempered and exhausted. Note the sickly pallor of my skin and the dark circles under my eyes. I was sooooo tired.
This is me falling asleep outside the restroom, waiting for Olive to leave a urine sample. The scarf is new. It's different looking, so I like it.My new Mezuzah. After the doctor's appointment, we went to eat and after that we walked into this Judaica shop just to look around. I asked them if they had those things that go on the door frame for protection. I saw it on Fiddler on the Roof and I've always wanted one. So I got the one above. And actually, a Mezuzah is the two chapters from the Torah written on a piece of paper that is rolled up and held inside this cute metal thing. The purpose is to remind people that God is One and to remind them that the holier they keep their house, the safer it will be. It also hangs as a reminder for when people are walking into the house: are they thinking thoughts or carrying an object that would offend God? The Hebrew letter is the letter Shin, for Shaddai, one of the biblical names for God.

Ever since I read Follow the Stars in elementary school, I've wanted a Star of David necklace, but I wanted it to be unique and not cheap and junky. At the Jewish store, the had a lot of the Hamesh hands (aka Hamsa Hand, Hand of Fatima, Hand of Miriam, Hand of God, Hand of Protection). They apparently protect against the evil eye and evil in general. Then I saw this one with the Star of David on it. The Star holds a lot of symbolism, my favorite being the number seven. It has 6 points, and a 7th in the center, reminding people of the six words of the Shema, and the 3+3+1 on the Menorah. Not to mention the fact that the number seven in the scriptures symbolizes completeness. So this necklace is like complete protection. And cool looking.

4 comments:

.kai. said...

ahh, the mezs...whatever it's called, reminds me of n.y. every door had them in certain apt. buildings. love the scarf!

.kai. said...

oh and that little boy is adorable.

Kimmie said...

yes he is adorable, but deceptively so!

Kim said...

Do you mean number the stars?