Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I have a sparkly purple notebook

I saw a lizard chasing another up the tree and it looked as though it was nipping the rear end of the lizard in front. I thought, oh how cute, they're playing. Then I realized it's spring, aka mating season, and the thought dawned on me that they are probably starting a reptilian orgy rather than enjoying some harmless flirtation. Gross. And can I just tell you how annoying it is to find lip gloss with great color in the bottle, but when you put it on your lips there is no color whatsoever and it's all just a sticky mess? Blarg.
So a few weeks ago Olive and I went grocery shopping and afterward she was FURIOUS at me for the bill ($245). I tried to explain to her that it was for two people for the month of March and that it was actually not that bad of a bill for LA. She went off on how "before" she could only spend $50-$60 at the grocery store and have it last the whole month. I didn't reply to that, but inside I was thinking "Impossible!" Then she mentioned that "before" she ate out a lot and I said, "And eating out costs a lot more than homemade meals." "Impossible!" she replied.
Yesterday, she had the accountant out to prepare her taxes and at one point I had to go through her credit card bills and mark off all the charges to the pharmacy. Since I was looking at the details of the bills, I noticed how much she had charged to various restaurants over the months that, she had claimed, were so much cheaper than my home cooking. We shall not mention the hundreds more she's spent eating out rather than cooking, but I did have a brief moment of solitary vindication. If I can hold onto the car for a bit longer, next time I need to go grocery shopping, I'm going alone.
On an unrelated note, so many cultures have stories about "little people" that were tricksters and helpers and magical. If so many cultures, unrelated, spread far apart can have stories so similar, where do the stories come from? They have to have a beginning, a kernel of truth. Hmmmm....

No comments: