Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My encounter with salt water. Not the ocean.

I got a bit bored this afternoon and decided I since it has been awhile since I have tasted Root Beer, I'll walk down to the 7-11 and get one. According to Google maps, its only a half mile, 10 minute trip. I can brave the unknown horrors of the ghetto for that long. No problem.
And it wasn't a problem. It was entirely uneventful. The whole trip, walking there and back and waiting in line at the register, took less than 25 minutes. Probably less than 20. I wasn't really keeping track. Not quite the time waster I'd imagined.
On the way back home I decided to call my cousin Emma and see what she was wearing for the first day of school.
"I wear a uniform, remember?" she said.
No I did not.
The whole conversation lasted 2 minutes and 18 seconds and when I hung up I noticed something very odd. There were two drips of water running from the inside of my elbow and down my arm. For a second I tried to think of where I could have been splashed with water when I realized it was sweat. I don't sweat cartoon-like droplets, but in the short amount of time my arm had been bent, it had been enough to make it sweat.
This was a first for me. A disgusting first. And I had to share it with the world.
And this, my friends, is what living on an island does to you.

No comments: