Monday, July 11, 2011

Why I'm In Lihue

Sooooooo, it has come to my attention that there's more than a few people who don't know I'm here and why I came. So I decided to put it on the blog so anyone with more energy than me can read it-this way I don't have to tell the story forty times. It isn't lazy, it's economical.
So there I was in Rexburg, looking for work and wondering if the pool was every going to get finished and opened so I'd actually have a job. I was hired, but because of the weather and flooding, they kept pushing the start date back. I wasn't about to wait around for a "We might open" but no where else would hire me.
In the meantime, my Aunt Sierra was getting ready to move and the idea was put in my head to move as well. I'm single, unattached, assetless-basically a hobo-so why not try somewhere else? I didn't take it seriously because...well...it was crazy and made no sense. But the thought wouldn't leave, so I decided to get advice from some friends. Then the thought really wouldn't leave, so I decided I better do some serious thinking. So one weekend I decided to do a whole lot of fasting and praying and pondering about whether this was something I should do. The ENTIRE weekend I felt really, really good about moving. It felt like the first time in months God was finally saying, "Ok, now it's time." Sunday I had my brother give me a blessing and that doubled how good I felt about the move. So I decided I would move.
Then Monday morning dawned and I kept thinking how crazy it was and how much it didn't make sense and I began to doubt that I had recieved my answer. On Tuesday, we were driving back from Walmart and drove past the construction area that would one day be the pool, and I felt sick to my stomach. A lump formed in my throat and I took a few deep breaths to keep from crying. This was strange. Usually driving by the pool made me feel excited and I didn't understand why I had such a sickening reaction to it now.
That night as I was praying and fussing over whether I had actually gotten an answer or whether I was over analyzing things and feeling for some inexplicable reason that this decision was a big one and I really needed an answer, I had a prompting to flip my journal open and read. So I opened it to an entry where I had written about how many times we get on our knees and whine about not getting answers and God's looking down at his watch thinking 'Can't you wait ten more hours? You'll get your answer tomorrow.' And all the emotions of the last two days, the ones that made me feel like crying at every moment, disappeared, and I knew I'd get my answer the next day.
Soooo, that next day I went to the temple and in the Celestial Room I pulled out the scriptures and opened to one that basically said, You already got your answer. "What greater witness can you have than from God?" Touche.
After that I knew I'd gotten my answer to go, but so did the adversary. He began working against me harder than he has in months. Every waking moment and most unconcious moments were filled with horrible thoughts and feelings designed to make me feel like the worst person on earth, completely unworthy of this move, and that if I do this, I am the most selfish brat and everyone will hate me. It scared me. I knew I was supposed to go, but I was so overwhelmed with fear (of the unknown, of everyone hating me) that I quibbled.
Until my aunt walked in and sat down. "Kim," she said in that mom voice that makes you feel guilty for everything you have ever done in your life and even for those things you haven't done. "Are you going?"
So I said yes.
My mom called a few minutes later and asked if I was going.
I said yes.
And immediately I was assaulted by a horrible guilty feeling, a feeling that I was the worst person in the world, a selfish spoiled brat, and that if I go horrible horrible things will happen and it would be much better to stay in Rexburg where it's safe. The feeling was unrelenting, so I knelt down to pray and asked that if I was doing the right thing, to please let me feel safe, calm, and not guilty. IMMEDIATELY all those horrible feelings went away and I felt so good, so happy. A few days later I bought my ticket.
Everytime I've prayed about it I've gotten the same confirmation that moving is the right thing to do. When I landed here, I felt so peaceful, it was like I was floating and I took it as another confirmation that I was doing the right thing. Absolutely no clue why I'm here, yet, and it may be that I won't figure it out for a while, maybe even after my time here is over and I've moved on, but I followed the promptings and I know I'm where I should be.
Ironically enough, as soon as I bought the ticket, the weather cleared up and the construction on the pool finished and it opened right before I left. Interesting, don't you think, that it kept getting pushed back until I made my decision, and then it suddenly opened?
So public opinion be hanged, I did what I knew was right. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Happy to hear you're finding some peace... even in the slums of Hawaii! I wouldn't worry too much about everyone else ultimately everyone wants you to be happy! Maybe you're supposed to find some cute surfer (which would be impossible in Rexburg).