Saturday, June 27, 2009

Just returned from two and a half weeks in Hawaii. Spent all of my time beach hopping and reading a million books. It was wonderful! The girls came over for a few days which was wonderful! It probably didn't mean as much to them since they're all within a few minutes of each other, but I loved it. After they left it was a few more days of sitting on the beach. One the second to last day I (drumroll please) snorkeled! Water scares me but we went to Lydgate and I was determined to do it at least once. Sidnee swam along with me just in case and once I was somewhat okay with sticking my head in the water, we swam out further. I started to get water in my mask and getting a little freaked out so I turned and started to swim for what I thought was shore. I saw a big rock I recognized and kept kicking and a little bit later I saw the rock again and was thinking what the H. apparently I was swimming in a big circle. Sidnee said she tried to swim around to my head but I kept turning and splashing her. I was dead certain I was swimming in a straight line. Whatever. Then on Tuesday we headed for the airport and after a bit of hassle got on the plane to Honolulu. Then we walked to another gate and sat there waiting to board when they got on the intercom and said they had to repair the plane and we had to wait until 11:00 pm (it was 9) to find out if it was going to be fixed in time to fly out. At 11 they tell us that the plane isn't fixed and we have to wait another half hour to find out when we can fly out and then they are going to send buses to take us to a hotel. So we are told we have to fly out the next day at 11 am and we get on buses and go to the Sheraton Princes Kaiulani hotel. The supervisor told us to call United in a couple of hours to find out what do do about our connecting flight but when we call they have no idea what we're talking about. So we get to sleep after 2am and wake up at six to have breakfast before we get on the bus again. Anyways, we do get to fly out of Honolulu and we're lucky enough to have an empty seat near us so we can sleep. When we get to San Francisco, we have to wait in line forever to verify our connecting flights and get a voucher for yet another hotel room. We got to the hotel around 10pm and have to get up at 3am to catch the bus at four. Fortunately our flight to Phoenix was uneventful (and spent sleeping) as was the flight to Boise. So originally we should have had two flights taking maybe twelve hours: Honolulu to San Fran to Boise, but when all was said and done, it took us two days and and extra flight. When we got home Thursday night and I tried to fall asleep, all I saw were airports when I closed my eyes. I love flying, but that was almost enough to make me hate it.

2 comments:

.kai. said...

the trip meant sooo much to me too, kimmie. thank you for letting us join you and your family!

Kim said...

Oh gosh snorkeling freaks me out... I always breathe into my stupid tube and get water in my mask... it's not my thing - plus sea water is super gross. I did take a scuba diving class which isn't as scary. I'm jealous you had a vacation... it's seems like it's been forever since we've been anywhere.