Sunday, June 28, 2009

Complaint and another Deep Thought

This particular section of the blog is going to be spent complaining, as I need to gripe about something and this was available. Subject: my mom. She's driving me crazy. She is constantly stressing about the numerous things she has to do, but fails to notice that she's hassled because she has no sense of organization. For example, today she tells me that her home teachers are coming at four, so at 3:55 she suddenly decides that the clothes in the washer need to be taken to Sierra's to be dried (since our dryer isn't working). I look at the clock as she's about to walk out the door and it said 3:59. I tell her the clothes can wait a little while since her HT's are coming over and she replies that it can't wait, it has to be done now. At 3:59. This reminds me of a time when we were younger and she went on a cleaning kick and told us we were going to scrub the house. Instead of starting on the big things, like dishes, clutter, sweeping, the normal things, she starts by shampooing our brushes. Kendra and I told her that was something that could wait until the end, but no, it had to be done immediately. So she spends all this time on trivial little things and then gets all ticked off because she suddenly has no time for the big, important things. Try telling her this and she'll insist that it isn't because of how she's doing things, it's because she has soooo much to do because no one else will do it and on and on and on. Heaven help me if I don't get enough loan money for school because then I'd have to stay here and I think I'd have to choke something. To make everything worse, I have no car, so I can't escape!!!!!
Whew, now that I've gotten all of that off of my chest, may I say that I enjoyed the book entitled The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers. I want to read the other books he's written. They're illustrated and are I guess what you would call faery tales, but there were a lot of big words, so I don't know if it would be a children's book. Whatever. It was good.
Here's my deep thoughts for today. I was thinking about all the comments made by non-religious people about how science has proved that Creationism and the whole idea of religion is false and I thought, how do they KNOW? Six hundred years ago they KNEW the earth was flat because the science of the day proved that it was. Two hundred years ago, scientists KNEW that the size of a persons head denoted intelligence because all of the scientific experiments and instruments proved that this was true. Today science says that dinosaurs lived on the earth upteen million years ago and that cavemen lacked the mental capacity to speak or even walk upright and that they were descended from apes. Science has proved this to be true. But who knows, perhaps a handful of years down the road science proves that all of the things we now hold to be true is complete crap? Sure, scientists need to take what they now think to be true and run with it, but don't act as if you have discovered the end-all-be-all and anything to the contrary is merely wishful thinking. Going back to religion, who says religion and science are mutually exclusive? I've heard it said that the laws of nature prove that there is no all-powerful God, but who wrote those laws? Who says that God doesn't obey those laws? The Big Bang Theory is interesting and convincing, but who says that God didn't create the world in this way? The bible merely says that he created the earth, but it doesn't say how. Another big issues is of course, the timeline, but again, who says that when the bible (which is full of figurative and symboic language) says "seven days" that is was speaking figuratively? And who says that just because the materials that make up the earth are millions of years old, that the earth is too. Maybe the earth as it is really is only a few thousand years old, but was built of things much older. Prove me wrong. And even if you do, maybe we'll wait a few years and I'll be proved right. Or, of course, we'll all simply wait for the Second Coming and have our questions answered by the very people who built the earth and the God who made it all possible. But to think about: how much of what we KNOW to be true will be disproved tomorrow?

1 comment:

.kai. said...

your mom is so funny, it was great seeing her. the book sounds really good, something that john and i will have to read and discuss...he likes stuff like this.